The Word IOT – Internet of Things is Very Easy to Understand, By this word we can clearly mean that the Things Which are Used By Internet. But in actual this is not the correct definition of IOT. IOT is a very vast concept to understand, we cannot understand IOT properly in one article. But I tried my best to let you have great Idea about Internet of Things.
What is Internet of Things :-
In short IOT is a way in which 2 or more computers communicate each other and exchange data’s and other Information. Let’s understand it with an example, for ex, if you want to know “Hotels Near Me” or anything, then you defiantly use some search engine like google, and then google gives you the answer of your query. So the way in which and your phone communicate each other and share data’s is call Internet Of things.
According to Wikipedia The Internet of things (IoT) describes the network of physical things that are rooted with sensors, software, and other technologies for the purpose of connecting and exchanging data with other devices and systems over the Internet.
What are the main Use of Internet of Things :-
There are 4 Different ways in Which IOT can be used :
- Consumer Applications : The Maximum Growing Portion of IoT is developed for consumers, this includes, connected vehicles, home automation, wearable technology, connected health, and devices with remote monitoring capabilities.
- Organizational applications : The Internet of Medical Things (IoMT) is an application of IoT for data collection and analysis for medical and health purposes, research and monitoring. IoMT has been referred to as “smart healthcare”, as a technology for building a digital healthcare system, to connect available medical resources and health services.
- Industrial applications : Also known as IIoT, industrial IoT devices acquire and analyze data from connected equipment, operational technology (OT), locations and people. Combined with operational technology (OT) monitoring devices, IIoT helps regulate and monitor industrial systems. Also, the same implementation can be carried out for automated record updates of asset placement in industrial storage units as the size of the assets can vary from a small screw till the whole motor spare part and misplacement of such assets can cause a percentile loss of manpower time and money.
- Infrastructure applications : Monitoring and controlling operations of sustainable urban and rural infrastructures like bridges, railway tracks and on- and offshore wind-farms is a key application of the IoT. The IoT infrastructure can be used for monitoring any events or changes in structural conditions that can compromise safety and increase risk. The IoT can benefit the construction industry by cost saving, time reduction, better quality workday, paperless workflow and increase in productivity. It can help in taking faster decisions and save money with Real-Time Data Analytics. It can also be used for scheduling repair and maintenance activities in an efficient manner, by coordinating tasks between different service providers and users of these facilities.
- Military applications : The Internet of Military Things (IoMT) is the application of IoT technologies in the military domain for the purposes of reconnaissance, surveillance, and other combat-related objectives. It is heavily influenced by the future prospects of warfare in an urban environment and involves the use of sensors, munitions, vehicles, robots, human-wearable biometrics, and other smart technology that is relevant on the battlefield.
Trends and characteristics of Internet of Things :-
The IoT’s major significant trend in recent years is the explosive growth of devices connected and controlled by the Internet. The wide range of applications for IoT technology mean that the specifics can be very different from one device to the next but there are basic characteristics shared by most.
The IoT creates opportunities for more direct integration of the physical world into computer-based systems, resulting in efficiency improvements, economic benefits, and reduced human exertions.
The number of IoT devices increased 31% year-over-year to 8.4 billion in the year 2017 and it is estimated that there will be 30 billion devices by 2020. The global market value of IoT is projected to reach $7.1 trillion by 2020.